Friday 6 February 2009

Slush puppy

It's the usual early morning run which is oh such a joy. At about 5am I fetch Claudia from the nursery for a feed and take a look at the weather. It looks like there's been some snow but then some rain, the paths are covered in dirty grey slush. A couple of hours later once everyone is up and the kids are eating/wearing/painting with their breakfasts I set off. The rain and snow has now stopped, it is just very wet and cold. I soon discover that running in slush is worse than snow, ice or rain. Slush soaks your feet, flicks up the backs of your legs and hides dog poo. It's 5 miles this morning along the same route as Wednesday. Once I cover the first half mile and reach Wood Lane the slush has been mainly washed away by the early morning commuters and the running is easy. It's a bit busy running down Uxbridge Road with commuters and shops opening up. Halfway down I need to do a bit of sprint training - whilst most cars avoid the big lakes of slush along the kerbs the buses cannot. Twice I hear the bus engines over the noise of my music just in time to hit the accelerating and avoid being engulfed in a tsunami of dirty water and feck knows what. The rest of the run is fairly incident free - a few near misses with pedestrians and cars and a little argument with a lamppost I failed to notice. Another 5 miles completed I reach the front door, take off my shoes and socks and head for a shower. Then it's off to work which fortunately only takes me 30 seconds - I'm working from home today, my run is done - I can have a drink tonight. Life is good.



FCB - 5 DP - 3 visible H - 1

No comments: