Wednesday 25 February 2009

Another 4 miles or football?

Tonight is due to be a slow 8 mile run however Chelsea kick off against Juventus at 19:45 and I don't usually get out running until 19:15. I'm getting stronger and fitter on my runs but 8 miles in 30 minutes means averaging 3 minutes 45 second miles, I ain't that good. We put the kids up to bed at about 19:00 but for once Claudia decides to scream her head off. Finally I get out at about 19:25 and I decide to alter the schedule. Tonight becomes a fast 4 miler, I have put the football on to Sky Plus and will start it when I get home, fast forward through half time to catch up and Bob's your uncle, Fanny's your dad's sister I'm back on track. I've left my Garmin at work so I set straight off just with my old stopwatch and my music. I find that I am good at judging my pace now and aim for about 8m 30s miles. It's my standard route and it's fairly empty tonight though I do see several other runners which is unusual. Shoppers are still pouring into the Westfield Centre as I run passed and coming down Uxbridge Road I have a couple of arguments with buses which I graciously concede. I reach my local and now key sponsor The Princess Victoria. The pub looks very inviting, it would be practically irresistable if they showed football! I withstand temptation and run straight passed the pub. I am keeping up a good pace and am spurred on as I know Chelsea have kicked off. I reach the front door and stop the watch. 4 miles in 32 minutes and 12 seconds, that's just over 8 minutes a mile. At the time of writing I've had my omelette, had a load of water and currently it's 1 nil to Chelsea after 78 minutes - I love it when a plan comes together.

No comments: