Sunday 22 February 2009

15 Miles, pain, ice and pain

So I can do the run at a decent time my lovely wife Sharon decided to sacrifice going to mass at 9.15 to stay at home with the junior clan members and start cooking a Sunday roast. So after a quick breakfast of toast and jam I pull on my running shoes, position the mp3 player, put on the Garmin (which I turned on and left in the bay window so it had picked up the satellites) and leave the house at about 8:10am. There was still quite a bit of pain and swelling in the left foot but I think this more post-gout attack recovery pains than actual gout. In my head I have agreed that if it is really hurting after the forst 2 miles I'll head for home. Two miles in there is some discomfort but not enough to stop me, I just hope I'm not being stupid. The aim is a 15 mile run which will put me back on track after missing 2 long runs though I did manage good cycles each time. My confidence isn't high because of the ever-present discomfort even when not running, so much so that I have wrapped a £20 note and a 50p coing in clingfilm and put it in my shorts pocket - £20 for taxi home should I collapse in a writhing sweaty heap with a snapped toe and 50p so I can call Sharon, ambulance, samaritans or any other service I may need. I head for the river planning to just extend my normal route. By Hammersmith Bridge I think I've generated enough endorphins to block out any pain and hit the tow path on the south side with renewed confidence. I reach the brewery at Mortlake and Richmond Bridge as the Garmin shows 5 miles completed this leaves a further 2.5 miles before I turn for home. Soon I reach the driveway up to Kew Gardens car park. Around here the tow-path becomes very uneven and stoney which does cause a flare up of pain in my left foot. Nearing the end of the Gardens I hit 7.5 miles and turn around. On the way back I run through the car park and the driveway to save my feet. Reaching the White Horse near Barnes Bridge is a big milestone, this means I just have 5 miles left, 10 miles gone. The run had been fairly quiet, I've probably seen 20 other runners. Coming back with the time just around 10am is very different and the worst thing is I seem to be running against the traffic. I come up against several large groups of runners coming in the opposite direction and for some reason there is a pack mentality, running in numbers they seem to dispense with any courtesies to other runners and expect people to move out of the way - runners, dog walkers, ramblers alike. This does mean my shoulders are slightly sore by the time I hit Hammersmith Bridge as after giving way a couple of times I get fed up and plough through the next groups with a steely determination not to give any ground. As I drop down from Hammersmith Bridge and started the final leg I could really feel some pain in my foot and as I wasn't planting the foot naturally it was causing some discomfort in the knee however with 2 miles to go I wasn't stopping. Finally after 2 hours 22 minutes of running I stand outside my home taking my trainers off on my doorstep. After being let in my a stressed Sharon and an excited George I go upstairs where I decide to try an ice bath to ease my leg muscles. If any of you ever think about taking one DON'T, THEY CHUFFING HURT TO BUGGERY. I fill the bath with freezing cold water so that it can cover me legs and I take the plunge. There is an immediate sensation of complete pain, a freezing cold burning sensation. George finds this hilarious and decides a toy boat in the water will help me - it doesn't. George then decides he will further help by washing daddy's back with a sponge - it doesn't. I love my son dearly and this episode proved to me there is such thing as unconditional love, just.



FCB - 3 DP - 4 H - 6 (wa-hay they like me)

No comments: